Posted 3/04/09 (Wed)
By Neal A. Shipman
SOME VERY GOOD THOUGHTS TO LIVE YOUR LIFE BY!
Every now and then I receive an email with a message that is just too good not to share with you. While the email is intended to be shared by women, I think that many of the points that Erma Bombeck penned in this column ring true no matter your gender.
For those of you who may not know Erma, she was an American humorist who achieved great popularity through her humorous newspaper column describing suburban home life. Her life was cut short by cancer in 1997. But before she died she penned this wonderful column that needs to be shared.
IF I HAD MY LIFE TO LIVE OVER By Erma Bombeck
• I would have gone to bed when I was sick instead of pretending the earth would go into a holding pattern if I weren’t there for the day.
• I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose before it melted in storage.
• I would have talked less and listened more.
• I would have invited friends over to dinner even if the carpet was stained, or the sofa faded.
• I would have eaten the popcorn in the ‘good’ living room and worried much less about the dirt when someone wanted to light a fire in the fireplace.
• I would have taken the time to listen to my grandfather ramble about his youth.
• I would have shared more of the responsibility carried by my husband.
• I would never have insisted the car windows be rolled up on a summer day because my hair had just been teased and sprayed.
• I would have sat on the lawn with my grass stains.
• I would have cried and laughed less while watching television and more while watching life.
• I would never have bought anything just because it was practical, wouldn’t show soil, or was guaranteed to last a lifetime.
• Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy, I’d have cherished every moment and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was the only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.
• When my kids kissed me impetuously, I would never have said, ‘Later. Now go get washed up for dinner.’ There would have been more ‘I love yous.’ More ‘I’m sorrys.’
• But mostly, given another shot at life, I would seize every minute, look at it and really see it, live it and never give it back. STOP SWEATING THE SMALL STUFF!!!
• Don’t worry about who doesn’t like you, who has more, or who’s doing what. Instead, let’s cherish the relationships we have with those who do love us.